A “design” is when you colour in our official template for foals or imports so that the group can help you match their genotype (provided by the group) with how they look visually! You need to design, submit and have your design accepted before you can use your Boucle in the group. (Note: you only need to reference your Boucle to breed them, you can do everything else with an accepted design)
Import vs Foal Lines
We have two sets of lines, one for Imports (aka “starters”), and a set for foals.
Import Lines are used only for:
- DIY Tokens
- XP Imports
- Prize Import
- Group Custom Imports
Foal Lines are used for:
- Foals from breedings
- Random Genotypes
- Group Advent Prizes
Unless your design has an Ancients’ Blessing, Corruption, or a Favour, you may not REMOVE any of the default lines on the design template*. With 3D mutations you may ADD lines to the template but the default lines will be hidden underneath.
You CAN do the following on the REFERENCE but you CANNOT do the following on the DESIGN:
- Redraw the pose
- Reposition the horn on the forehead
- Clip the hair
- Resize or customise the BAs
- Add non-mutation accessories
- Add scarring
*You may only remove lines on the DESIGN for these common exceptions:
This list is not exhaustive, please ask in Discord #design-questions if you would like to know if your particular idea is possible! You can write in our Discord #suggestions channel if you can think of other common exceptions!
- Extended Marque can cause dog ears (but not a dog tail, nose or paws)
- Extended Fawn Rayé can add antlers and cause a bobtail without the BA, but not deer hooves, ears or nose
- Extended Faon can add horns/antlers (but cannot cause a Bobtail)
- If a design has a 3D mutation with hard items like straps/collars/ribbons etc that would push aside the mane or disperse long hair you are now allowed to edit the lines to show that
- Use the Bald Lines as a reference for how far into the hair a mutation can push
- Currently this is only for minor edits, eg, you cannot hide a Boucle’s hair with 3D mutations – this will be further expanded upon / outlined in the upcoming design guide
- Foal Lines Only: For DIY BAs which must be custom-drawn, such as Bobtail!
- Foal Lines Only: Instances where the BA templates do not combine or layer well together can be edited to fit but must follow the original shape (eg, Gem Armour often conflicts with non-standard horns and feet, and you may hide the forelock when Crest is present)
Note: There are instances where incorrect designs will be overlooked and accidentally accepted; these are either ancient designs or accidently missed by an admin in processing and are not intended to be repeated. If your design is denied for one of the above reasons but you have seen similar exceptions before please feel free to show us and ask if it was an intentional exception or an accidental admin boop. We may reconsider but in the case of a historic design or previous admin error that is unlikely!
Corrupted Foal Designs
Corrupted is a defect, and is not advantageous to the Boucle.
Corrupted designs must show some original lines, and remain in the general shape of a Boucle*. They must be themed to the defects, mutations and/or BAs, or generally be unnerving. All mutations must be visible where applicable.
*Parts of a Corrupted Boucle can be modified into different creature parts and completely change the lines in places, but Corruption cannot create a fully different creature with a Unicorn Horn.
Blessed Import or Foal Designs
Blessed designs must have a unicorn horn, but the majority of the body can be reimagined. They must be themed after the Blessing type, but do not need to incorporate original colours or mutations unless desired.
Blessings are gifts from the Ancients, and will not do harm to the Boucle.
About Colours, Markings, and Mutations etc
When designing your boucle, keep in mind that we in the boucle group are fairly lax on design rules. You of course still have to follow the genotype and phenotype you were given, but as long as the coat colour, modifier or mutation looks like itself and not some other marking of the breed you are good to go. With extended mutations, Ancients’ Blessing, event mutations and corruption you have even less to worry about! Yay! Do not be afraid to take some creative freedom, we love seeing what you can come up with! Mutations can also combine, interact and theme each other, so feel free to take such liberties as well.
Browse through our group folders to see all the examples of the following:
- Birthstones (old link)
- Colours / Dilutions (old link: Colours)
- Natural & Unnatural Modifiers (old links: Natural Modifiers & Unnatural Modifiers)
- White Markings (old links: White Markings & Appaloosa)
- Mutations (old link: Mutations)
- Retired Mutations (old link: Retired Mutations)
Work in Progress
We are in the process of moving our examples to the website – some genes appear in the dA gallery, the website gallery, or both! Newer examples are only available on the website. Apologies for the inconvenience. Please bear with us while we transitions between systems <3
This section is still a giant WIP as we move the colour info to the new website! Please bear with us <3Many links will still lead to the dA pages but eventually it will all be moved here! Boucle Unicorns come in a whole lot of colours, and this page aims to guide you through… Read More
November 2022: The following rules are being adjusted to allow for better inclusivity of disabilities and expand character development: OLD RULES – Prior to November 2022: NEW RULES – Starting November 2022: TL;DR: Major injuries are now permissible in references after completing a prompt. Minor injuries such as surface scars do not require a prompt.… Read More
The Resource Centre is a member- and mod-made collection of helpful design-related items. Currently it only provides Breeding Anomaly adaptations for the foal lines, but in future it may be expended. Introduction of the Resource Centre, Announcement of December 2022: We’re making some changes to the way Breeding Anomalies (BAs) lines are added to designs!… Read More
This page specifically covers how to design your foal genos, for general information about designing, see the Designing page. Read on for how to turn your foal genos into designs! Foal genos are provided by the group via breedings and prizes. You can also trade or purchase them from other members. Random Foal Genos have… Read More